Friday, January 23, 2009

MLK weekend

Ever since Veteran's Day weekend, I've been wanting to visit my cousins, Mike & Becky, in Santa Monica. They live a few blocks away from the beach and it just sounds wonderful. So, the long weekend over Martin Luther King Jr. Day I went to Santa Monica. It was so much fun and so relaxing. Mike & Becky are the best and were very welcoming. I drove down Friday after school and my run. I got there 9:30 and we stayed up that first night talking until 2 am. I haven't done that in a long time (oh wait, since the reunion last July). They have 2 children living with them now, and I got to sleep in Arica's room. We woke up, had pancakes and then went to the farmer's market. We got such yummy and fresh produce that we enjoyed all weekend. We came back home to put the produce away and then went to the beach in the afternoon. It was so nice just to have a book to read, people to watch, and take a nap. It was so beautiful to hear the waves crashing down and then it would be silent until the next wave. That was my favorite part and each time was surprised at how loud the waves were compared to the absolute silence afterwards. Sunday we went to church and then we took a little drive around. I had heard about the famous Santa Monica pier and had to go and see it. I watched my second sunset that weekend and walked the pier. It was very nice and fun to walk. There were tons of tourists and I think extra busy because of the long weekend. I guess I wasn't the only person with the idea to come to the beach that weekend. We went to the LA temple grounds, which is quite close to their place. I am definitely going to return and do a session in that temple. It is so beautiful. This will be my second visit to this temple without going inside. The last time I came to this temple, I was with Heidi and we were a little lost in LA and just came upon it one day. Monday was my drive back, but I wasn't in a hurry and finished my book first and left around 11 am. It's only a 4.5 hour drive and a tank of gas. So, a very economical trip for all the relaxation I got in. They told me I was welcome to return and they don't know it, but I will!!

2 comments:

Annette said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! I like your photos, very nice.

Sarah said...

That sounds wonderful. I'm living vicariously through you right now.