Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Martha Mishap


Well, I guess even Martha has her days. Here is my most terrible cooking disaster EVER! I was making my own tortilla chips, and they literally turned to ashes. I lightly oiled them and salted them. Put them in the oven to broil. Proceeded to forget about them and soon enough, my oven was on fire (I have a gas range/oven). There were MAJOR flames coming out of my oven. It was the most horrific feeling I've ever had when cooking. I tried to blow on them, but that didn't help. I then reached for my fire extinguisher, but I didn't know how to use it. I guess you're supposed to pull the pin first and then squeeze. I then realized that I should turn off the gas, duh. It was like reaching through a ring of fire to reach the controls on the back of the oven. I had one burner on the stove on and I tried to turn that off as well. However, the fire was coming up out of the oven and engulfing the front panel. All the while, my smoke detectors were beeping loudly in every room. My house was filling up with smoke and smelled worse. My little cut, corn toritillas are burnt to ashes. They are all gray and have no substance to them and my pan is completely ruined. Next time I'll just buy a bag of chips!!

6 comments:

paulandbrianna said...

Way to go. Not even I have managed to ever set my stove on fire. Now your brother on the other hand, he has put in an a good effort. I agree stick to the bagged chips. They may not be as satisfying because you didn't cook them, but they work. Love ya!!!

Scott Schaerrer said...

Sounds like quite the ordeal. I'm glad you are safe! You're a terrific chef---keep blessing the world with your creations!!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

that's kind of funny....I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but that's something I'd totally do and probably will. FYI, if you ever have smoke like that again, make sure to turn your AC off so that it doesn't kick smoke around into other rooms. Smoke damage is no fun, that smell is yucky!

Roll'in with the Rowley's said...

Wow sounds like we cook about the same. Yea next time fork out the 2.00 and buy the chips. Great story. I laughed and laughed!

Carston, Katrina, Isabelle and Kate said...

Sometimes I think it sounds so fun to be a teacher!!! Soooo fun. I love back to school time. I hope you have a great teaching year!!!! Sorry about the chips....

Madame Flamingo said...

Oh my gosh! Totally! I'm so glad that you and your oven are okay, and that the only casualties were the chips! I hope everything's going well at school...I miss having you just down the hall! I really like high school so far, but I miss all my peeps from Brin!